Board & Staff
Mr. Akinari Horii
Akinari Horii is Special Advisor and a member of the Board of Directors of the Canon Institute for Global Studies, a research think tank in Tokyo, Japan. He also sits on the Audit & Supervisory Board of Tokio Marine Holdings. In addition, Akinari advises a few internationally active business firms, e.g., Promontory Financial Group, Nomura Institute for Capital Markets Research.
Akinari Horii was a central banker until he stepped down as Assistant Governor of the Bank of Japan in June 2010. During the four years’ term of office, Mr. Horii was responsible for the Bank’s all international activities and represented the Bank at G7Deputies, G20Deputies, FSB, and other key committees of international organizations such as BIS, IMF, and OECD. In Asia, he was Chairman of EMEAP Working Group on Financial Markets as well as BIS/EMEAP Forex Forum.
Before the governmental appointment to assistant governorship, Mr. Horii had worked at the Bank for three decades. Outside the Bank of Japan, he also worked at the BIS in Basel, Switzerland, Japan’s Ministry of Finance, and the Institute for International Policy Studies in Tokyo.
Mr. Horii received his MBA with distinction, and as a Beta Gamma Sigma, from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and his B.A. in Economics from the University of Tokyo.
He is a member of several non-profit entities, e.g., Keizai Doyukai (Japan Association of Business Executives), where he is deputy chairman of its Economic Partnership Committee; the Trilateral Commission; United States-Japan Foundation’s Board of Trustees.
His recent publications include:
- “Abenomics: Significance and Prospects,” video presentation at CSIS conference on ‘Abenomics: Still on Target?’ in Washington, D.C. on 24 October 2013, available at http://csis.org/multimedia/video-abenomics-still-target
- “Why Japan Will Succeed in the International Competition,” Le Banquet: Revue politique, Numéro 32, CERAP (Été 2013)
- “Problems with the Banking System Central to the European Crisis,” Massage from the Management, CIGS on 18 September 2012, available at http://www.canon-igs.org/en/management/akinari_horii/20120918_1545.html
- “The Financial Crisis and the Ensuing Reform: Neglected Wisdom,” Speech delivered at Harvard Asia Center for the Ezra Vogel Distinguished Visitor Program on 12 November 2010, available at http://www.canon-igs.org/en/management/akinari_horii/20101210_1543.html
- “Dislocations in the Financial Sector: Challenges for Monetary Policy,” Speech delivered at the High-Level Policy Panel of the Banque centrale du Luxembourg on 12 November 2008, available at https://www.boj.or.jp/en/announcements/press/koen_2008/ko0811b.htm